MIX NUTS AND SEEDS CHIKKI (BARS)
Chikki is a traditional sweet dish of India. It is very popular in Gujarat specially during the time of uttarayan. Chikkis are nothing but nuts bar made from jaggery. Everybody in my family are fond of chikkis. One fine day when I was searching for granola bars and nutri-bars on the internet, I got an idea of making healthy chikkis. I thought why not try an Indian version of it, which would be healthy for almost all age groups.
Jaggery or sugar is an important ingredient in making chikkis but personally I think jaggery is a healthier option for it.
Jaggery has many health benefits such as, it aids in digestion, it is a good source of iron, it is considered as a blood purifier etc. Children who like the taste of jaggery but are not willing to eat nuts, these chikkis might prove to be quiet nutritional for them.
Prep. Time: 10mins.
Cooking time: 15mins.
- Roasted peanuts
- Roasted sesame seeds
- Roasted almonds
- Roasted pistachios (salty)
- Roasted pumpkin seeds
- Roasted pine nuts
- Roasted sunflower seeds
- Black sesame seeds
- Cardamom powder (elaichi powder)
- Ghee (clarified butter)
- Add little ghee in a pot and heat it. Once heated, slow down the flame and add the jaggery pieces to it.
- Heat the jaggery while stirring it continuously till it melts and becomes foamy and changes colour. You will feel that it is getting lighter and foamy that is when it Is done.
- Add all the ingredients except water and black sesame seeds to it and give it a good stir.
- Meanwhile brush a steel dish or any clean surface with ghee nicely.
- Pour the mixture on it and flatten it with a spatula and press a little. Don’t forget to apply ghee to the spatula as well.
- Cut the pieces with a knife onto your desired size and let it set for a about 45mins till the chikkis get harden.
- Sprinkle some black sesame seeds.
- Once it is cooled down, take it out from the dish and store it in an airtight container in a cool place.
- You can store it for about 15 days.
If you are confused whether the jaggery is done or not, what you need to do is, take little water in a bowl add little jaggery from the pot in it and check after 2 -3 seconds. The jaggery will become hard and will give a crackling sound when dropped on a glass surface or bowl.