Vada pav, vada pao, wada pav or Bombay vada pav, however you spell it, the taste and its aroma would always attract you whenever you passby a vada pav stall.
Prep. Time: 20mins.
Cooking time: 10mins.
- Boiled potatoes
- Curry leaves
- Ginger, garlic and green chilli paste
- Coriander leaves
- Spices: Turmeric powder, Red chilli powder, Coriander powder, Cmin powder, Salt, Mustard seeds and Asafoetida(hing).
- Mash the boiled potatoes in a bowl, mix the chopped curry leaves and coriander leaves and keep it aside.
- In a pan, heat oil and splutter the mustard seeds.
- Add asafoetida(hing) and curry leaves.
- Add the ginger, garlic and chilli paste and saute it for about 30secs.
- Add all the spices and saute for about 30 secs more.
- Now add on the mashed potato mixture to it and add a splash of water and mix well.
- Let it be on the flame and stir it nicely till the mixture becomes smooth.
- Once the mixture is cooled down, make ball sized vadas from it and keep it aside.
- In a mixing bowl mix Bengal gram flour (chana dal flour), little rice flour, redchilli, turmeric powder, salt, amchur powder and water to make a dripping consistency batter.
- Whisk the batter really nice for about 1 or 2mins to make it smoother. ()
- Coat the vadas in this batter and deep fry them on low to medium heat till it turns little red.
- Take a bun(pav), spread butter, green chutney and red garlic chutney on it and put the fried vadas in between and serve it with green chilli bhajiyas. (dipping slit long green chillis in the batter and deep frying it).
- Recipe of Green chutney: Blend a bunch of coriander leaves, some mint leaves, 10gms ginger approx., 2- 3 small green chillies, 2 -3 cloves of garlic, cumin seeds, salt, with a pinch of sugar and lemon .
- Recipe of Red garlic chutney: Roast 2tbsp of sesame seeds, dry desiccated coconut, peanuts, 3-4 dry red chiilies and 20-25 small cloves of garlic. After roasting each ingredient one by one, blend it in a mixture along with salt and red chilli powder adding little oil to it.
TIP: Whisking the batter constantly will also make the batter loose. So, add water accordingly.